Leading a committed, accountable, results-oriented team can be a challenge under any circumstance. Doing so in the face of large-scale change? That is a feat that any manager would be proud of!
Unfortunately, many organizations find it challenging to prepare managers to lead others through change. Team leaders are either provided very little support and guidance, or they are provided with an overwhelming amount of change management tools and templates without clear direction on how to use them. In either case, too much time is spent trying to figure out the next move and how to successfully transition their teams.
To remedy this, organizations can proactively equip their leaders with the 5C’s of Transition Leadership™, a structured approach for leaders to improve their capabilities around leading change and managing the unique team challenges. More specifically, the third “C,” Create a High Performing Team to Achieve Results, addresses these concerns. There are four main sections:
- Assess your team’s readiness to execute the strategic change initiative:
- Determine what is new and different with your team
- Understand and assess where your team is along the “Common Phases of Team Development” curve
- Assess your team’s commitment to the change
- Formulate your vision and expectations (revisit goals, team roles, coordination, and metrics):
- Establish / revise a vision to share with your team
- Determine expectations and revisit overall goals
- Clarify roles and responsibilities for the team and its members
- Establish / revise performance metrics and monitoring methods to reinforce accountability
- Determine the best approach for “jump-starting” your team
- Conduct team “jump-start”:
- Help your team establish trust
- Establish rules of engagement
- Create a team charter
- Create Action Plans
The 5C’s of Transition Leadership™ was developed by WLH Consulting, Inc. (“WLH”) to provide a structured approach for leaders to improve their capabilities around leading change and managing the unique team, organizational, and marketplace challenges. The 5C’s Model of Transition Leadership™ is a proven and practical model that has been used with leaders at all organizational levels to execute large scale change with teams and individuals.
Please feel free to reach out to us to learn more about the 5C’s of Transition Leadership™ or for more information on leading through organizational change and transition.